Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lighted Christmas Parade - Show Low Style

Last night we started our Christmas festivities. (We needed a break from our 3 Thanksgivings!) Show Low sponsored its annual lighted Christmas Parade. We had no idea what to expect, but since we had enjoyed Yuma's lighted parade for years, we had to see this one. It lasted over 30 minutes and the police shut down one mile of major highway through town. (Cars were routed around it.) We arrived at 5 pm, planning to have dinner first, then sitting in our car to watch the parade. We picked out a parking lot near the restaurant, where our car would not affect the local business. Well...so did a lot of other people! We arrived 1 1/2 hours early for the parade, and cars had already taken the best spots!!! This told me it would be a GOOD parade! So, we had dinner, then waited with a lot of other folks, for the parade to begin. We're expecting a storm, so the winds were blowing and it was COLD! Many folks braved the winds and stood outside their cars to see the parade.
.
This is Frank, and we first saw him and his brother across the street. They were waddling bundles of Christmas lights! When Frank got to our side of the street, I asked to take his picture, thinking I would get the mass of lights...but I got the costume instead. This lighted jacket was amazing. I don't know if the owner made it, or bought it, but the crowds loved watching the bouncing lights, trying to figure out what kind of dog was wearing the lights. My guess was Pomeranian, but Ted made the right guess, dachshunds.

I took lots of pictures, and discovered that next year I needed to pay attention to the background! Circle K showed up in almost every picture.

The Hon-Dah Casino sponsored this float.








This decorated fire truck was the last entry in the parade. It loud! and bright and lots of fun!
Stay tuned.....who knows what I'll show you next!






4 comments:

Barbara and Ron said...

It looks like a good parade and I bet it was cooold!!! I watched the weather report it looks like you're going to get some snow. That should make for some more pretty pictures, maybe even a Christmas card!

sally said...

What a great parade!! Glad you braved the cold and took great pictures.

Diana said...

Brrrrrrr!! It's really cold at night here at sea level - I can't imagine being in Show Low. Those really are great pictures - you must have a very steady hand.

Anonymous said...

Soooo..............how cold was it?
Today, 12/10/09, it was in the upper teens here in Livonia, Michigan and it's predicted to be sub-zero over night. Brrrr.........it's too early for that kind of cold here in Michigan. Anyway, your CHRISTmas parade looked great and it's obvious you enjoyed yourself....Love, CUZ