Sunday, June 13, 2010

Moving the Garden

So, the story begins...I didn't have a garden last year as we were so busy with the house. My previous garden was back by the motorhomes, and I wanted my new garden near the house. So, Ted decided to move the old garden! First, he dig out the new location. I wish I had pictures of that, but missed it. He dug a really big hole and piled up the dirt "over there." Then, he went to the old garden and dug up the"good" dirt and put it in the new hole. The problem started when the new hole was bigger/deeper than the old hole. So, he ended up putting "bad" dirt on top of the rich soil from the old garden. (I really am going somewhere with this!) I raked stones and threw rocks as my contribution to the project. Then he filled the old hole with the dirt from the new hole!! WHEW!!

You wouldn't believe how many stones there are out here!
Anyway, we had to borrow Norman's rototiller and put in 5 70 pound bags of sand and 5 bags of dried steer manure because all the "good" dirt was now under the native soil. This is virgin land and the soil has NEVER been worked before. It is very hard and full of boulders, rocks and stones.

But the ground was too hard even for the rototiller. So, Ted and his backhoe came to the rescue again. He had to break up the dirt enough for the rototiller to be able to dig into the ground.





See the kind of rocks buried here?
Well, after a lot of hard work, including putting up the rabbit wire fencing, my garden was finished and I spread bark on the walking areas.
Then, I planted...MILK JUGS! Naw, they just serve as little green houses for the young plants until the threat of frost is over. Check out the size of these rocks. They all came from one garden or the other.
Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'll keep you up to date on the squash (patti pan, delicata, acorn) and melons (cantaloupe, tropical) peas, rhubarb and lemon cucumbers!


Here's the ol' guy after a hard day's work, wearing my sun visor!!!!!





















2 comments:

Barbara and Ron said...

Whew! That is quite a story. That backhoe really does come in handy! (And Ted too, of course) :-D

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice job, Ted. Living in that kinda country ya need all them that kind of tools.........like backhoes!
I see where ya got the garden surrounded by some serious fencing to keep all them that local varmits out. You really do grow a good crop of milk jugs!!