Sunday, August 8, 2010

CASA Fundraiser

A couple weeks ago, July 24 to be exact, Ted and I helped facilitate a Horseback Poker Run with the proceeds being donated to CASA. This is the article published in our local newspaper. It just about says it all...
The homemade highway sign...
... Well, not quite all. We may be in Arizona, but it is monsoon season and the skies opened up. You can see people sheltering under the awning, and in the truck.

I was walking around after the storm passed and couldn't resist a picture of the mud on my shoes. (They are washable!) The joke around here is the mud can make you 6 inches taller!

Twenty-two hardy riders left for the poker run. I took a few pictures because the horses were so beautiful. This was the only stallion, and he had a temper! When the rider returned after a 3 1/2 hour ride, he kicked the heck out of the inside of the trailer. He was making a statement of some kind.


This mare was as gentle as could be. The halter was embroidered with "Nice to Mice" and I had to question it. Seems she is former race horse and her call name is "Mouse."
This rider's name is Chance. He needed to use a straw bale to mount and he had not ridden in a year. Unfortunately, he was bucked off just outside the gate. I don't know how he managed to mount again, but he finished the run. When he brought his "hand" to me, it was terrible. I don't know if his name was prophetic or not.
We had a bag dinner provided for us. It had a wonderful pulled pork sandwich, chips and a drink.

And last, here I am with my CASA coordinator, Diana. We arrived at 11 am and left at 8 pm. Long day.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!











2 comments:

Barbara and Ron said...

What a fun idea!!! The only drawback I can see is you have to get on a horse! Did that once - won't do it again.

Anonymous said...

Real nice photo of you cuz. You haven't changed a bit since our last encounter. Your poker fundraiser is exactly the same as a poker run done on motorcycles. They are a great way to make friends of your fellow sports enthusiasts.
CUZ